In the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic taking care of ourselves has never been more important and this national Self Care Week Walsall patients are being given invaluable tips on how to look after their physical health and mental wellbeing.
The theme for this year’s focus, which runs from 16 – 22 November, is “Live Self Care for Life” and it aims to raise awareness about how people can better take care of their own physical health and mental wellbeing; to know where and when to go for health advice and to ultimately engender cultural and behavioural change
Jo Hannigan, Business Support Manager for Self Care Management Programmes with Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust said: “National Self Care Week is a fantastic opportunity for us to highlight the support that is available for Walsall patients living with long term conditions such as asthma, diabetes, depression, arthritis and COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease).
“We are living in challenging and uncertain times so to be able to take control of our own health and wellbeing is extremely powerful. Our Self Care courses are benefitting hundreds of borough patients of all ages and the more people we can introduce to them the better. We also want to raise awareness of Self Care among our healthcare colleagues so they can signpost patients to our service.”
Jo said patients reported a number of positive outcomes as a result of attending Self Care Courses:
- People feel confident and in control of their life
- They are empowered to manage their condition and its treatment in partnership with healthcare professionals
- Their confidence grows and their skills are enhanced helping them to communicate effectively with professionals and be willing to share responsibility for treatment
- They are given support to be realistic about how their condition affects them and their family
- Their skills and knowledge are put to good use so they can lead a full life
Jo added that throughout the week patient blogs would be shared via social media and Walsall Healthcare’s website to inspire others.