A COVID-19 Family Liaison Team has been set up at Walsall Manor Hospital to help support relatives and carers concerned about their loved ones.
The Family Liaison Team is a non-medical team that will support people whose relatives have been admitted to hospital as a result of suspected or confirmed COVID-19.
Garry Perry, Head of Patient Relations for Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust, said: “We appreciate that this is an extremely worrying time for anyone who has a family member or friend in hospital – especially when visiting has been, understandably, restricted
“There are lots of people involved in the care of our patients but we realise that their immediate family and carers need to be cared for too. Many will never have had any contact or dealings with the hospital before and now find themselves in the middle of the pandemic trying to process lots of new information that can feel daunting. This new team aims to relive some of this pressure and support families as well as help our staff who are trying to juggle their caring roles with communicating some difficult messages to relatives.”
Garry said the team will:
- Speak with you and find out more about your relative and your family.
- Listen to any worries or concerns you may have and work with you to find the different ways we may be able to help.
- Speak with other hospital staff and professionals on your behalf, and with your permission. These could include doctors and nursing staff and people involved in the care of your relative
- Direct you to other external teams and/or organisations that may be able to help you.
- Discuss any worries you may have about others in your family
- Help to arrange for an appropriate person to speak with you if you have any specific medical worries regarding the treatment your loved one is receiving/received
Garry added: “Families may need to be referred to other teams in our trust but we can continue to support them if they agree and will liaise on their behalf.”
How to contact a member of the family liaison team:
Ask any member of staff on the ward and they will put you in contact with the team. People can also contact the team directly via telephone on 01922 721172 ext 7136 Monday – Friday, 9am-4.30pm
At weekends please contact 07790 981 819 between 9am and 5pm.
People can also send an email to: