Speech and Language Therapy (Children)
Walsall Children’s Speech and Language Therapy service works collaboratively with families, education, social care, private, voluntary and independent sector, children centres and other health providers, adhering to jointly agreed protocols.
The services works with a range of people who have difficulties in the following areas:
- Language development – understanding and use
- Social communication
- Dysphagia (swallowing difficulties)
- Voice disorders
- Alternative and augmentative communication users
- Hearing impairment
- Cleft palate
- To provide training to families and other professionals to increase their skills to manage difficulties and enhance communication.
The service operates from a range of school, community clinics, children’s centres and resource centres across Walsall.
Walsall speech and Language Therapy are able to offer a range of training on how to support children and their communication and swallowing needs. Please also look at our ‘Traded Services’ leaflet for more detail around what training packages we can offer.
For further information on the courses we offer please contact the team on email@example.com.
Appointments are offered Monday – Friday 9am – 4pm.
Walsall Speech and Language Therapy department operates an open referral process for individuals requiring speech, language or dysfluency appointments.
To refer please complete a referral form.
Patients requiring voice therapy need to been seen by ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) first. If you have concerns regarding changes to your voice your GP will be able to refer you to ENT.
Please note that Walsall Speech and Language Therapy are only able to accept referrals for people living in Walsall, those with a Walsall GP or children attending a school in Walsall.
Feeding and Swallowing Difficulties
If you have any concerns with regards to your child eating or drinking (e.g. coughing, choking, difficulties with chewing or if your child is having frequent chest infections) anyone can make a referral to the speech and language therapy department with consent from the parent/legal guardian.
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists www.rcslt.org
- Health and Care Professionals Council www.hpc-uk.org
- Association for All Speech Impaired Children www.afasic.org.uk
- ICAN www.ican.org.uk
- Talking Point www.talkingpoint.org.uk
- Communication Trust www.thecommunicationtrust.org.uk
- Access to communication technology www.bhamcommunity.nhs.uk/patients-public/rehabilitation/act/
- Communication Matters www.communicationmatters.org.uk
- National Autistic Society https://www.autism.org.uk
- Autism West Midlands https://www.autismwestmidlands.org.uk
Cleft Lip and Palate
- Developmental Language Disorder https://radld.org
- Down’s Syndrome National Society https://www.ndss.org
- STAMMA www.stamma.org/
- Michael Palin www.michaelpalincentreforstammering.org/about-stammering/parents/tips-for-parents/
- Action For Stammering Children www.actionforstammeringchildren.org
- Tiny Happy People www.bbc.co.uk/tiny-happy-people
- Hungry Little Minds www.hungrylittleminds.campaign.gov.uk
- Makaton www.makaton.org
- National Literacy Trust www.literacytrust.org.uk
- National Deaf Society https://www.ndcs.org.uk/
- British Deaf Association www.bda.org.uk
- Scope www.scope.org.uk/
- Council for disabled children www.councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk
- Family Fund www.familyfund.org.uk