The School Nursing Service offers a range of support for children and young people. The service offer support to children once they reach reception year at school, right through to the age of 19 years or up to aged 25 years if a young person has additional or special educational needs. Our services are accessible to children and young people attending a Walsall School or are resident in the borough and accessing home education or alternative education provisions.
Emotional Health and Wellbeing
School Nurses and their teams are skilled in helping children and young people to be emotionally healthy, to develop skills to manage the challenges in life and to help parents to develop skills, strategies and confidence to handle any parenting situation. The service offers a range of FREE workshops and groups which are open access, no referral is required. A parent or carer can book places on workshops or groups by contacting telephone number 01922 423292 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. If no one is in the office then please leave your name and contact details on the answer machine and a member of the team will call you back.
The service deliver workshops and groups for parents and carers. The groups include:
- The Adult Resilience programme provides helps parents to increase their positive coping and resilience skills. Parents and carers can take part in this programme whilst their child takes part in the children’s programme and this ensure that the FRIENDS “language” is be spoken at home. If the whole family participates, then everyone will flourish.
- The Triple P Parenting programmes for parents of primary aged children and a programme for parents of teenagers.
- Understanding your child is a programme which helps parents understand about their child’s brain development and how it affects behaviour, why a child behaves a certain way when they are angry, having a temper tantrum or trouble sleeping. You will also learn the importance of playing for your child’s development.
- Cygnet programme is for parents and carers of a child with a diagnosis of autism. This programme helps parents develop their knowledge on how a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world and what drives their behaviour and helps guide parents through practical strategies they can use with children.
- Understanding Your Child’s Emotions workshop is a 2 hour interactive session for parents or carers who want a brief introduction to children’s emotions, gain some top tips and learn more about our groups or information about other services in Walsall. There is an opportunity for a brief consultation with a member of the School Nursing team.
- Understanding your Child’s Behaviour workshop is a 2 hour interactive session for parents or carers who want a brief introduction to children’s behaviour, gain some top tips and learn more about our groups or information about other services in Walsall. There is an opportunity for a brief consultation with a member of the School Nursing team.
Children and young people can take part in FRIENDS Resilience groups:
- Fun FRIENDS is for children aged 4-7 years old.
- FRIENDS for Life is for children aged 7-11 years old.
- Teen FRIENDS is for young people aged 12-15 years old.
- Managing your angry feelings is for children aged 7-11 years old
Continence and Bedwetting
The service provides support to children and young people who are experiencing problems with day time and night time wetting and/or soiling. School Nurses understand the impact on children, young people and their parents/carers when these problems exist. The services aims to help children and young people to achieve control over their bladder whilst recognising that some children and young people will never achieve continence. It is important that these children and young people continue to receive the most appropriate support for managing their bladder and bowel problems. The service works with families to provide the most appropriate support following national guidelines. The service accepts referrals from parents and carers who can telephone 01922 423349 to book a place on one of our workshops for parents or carers
- Bedwetting (Enuresis) workshop helps parents and carers understand more about what bedwetting is, the causes and some top tips to help your child to become dry and information about treatments that can help your child
- Toilet Training workshop helps parents and carers understand more about children’s continence, the causes of day time wetting, some top tips to help your child to become dry and information about interventions that can help your child to become dry or support to manage incontinence.
The service offers FREE Healthy Living Workshop which helps parents and carers explore what a healthy lifestyle is, think about balanced diet, time to exercise, 5 Ways to Wellbeing and more about our healthy lifestyles programmes for children and families