The tissue viability team is a specialist nursing team working across both hospital and community settings, including within GP practices and a patient’s own home.
It offers advice for the prevention and treatment of wounds that other health professionals may be struggling with. General more widespread skin conditions would however usually require advice from a dermatologist. The service covers newborns, infants, children, young people and adults.
The service also:
- oversees the provision of pressure relieving equipment
- ensures availability of cost-effective wound care products to treat wounds
- provides training and education for all staff regarding wound care and pressure ulcer prevention and management
- develops policies, pathways and procedures based on national and local guidance
- supports the implementation of complex wound care such as Negative Pressure (suction) wound therapy and Larvae (maggots) therapy.
The service operates Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.