Which Volunteer role would suit you?
Volunteering is very rewarding. There are many wards and departments that benefit from volunteer support here at Walsall NHS Trust. Our team of dedicated volunteers make a real difference to our patients and visitors and provide a unique contribution to improving the patient experience.
So which volunteer role would suit your skills? Have a look at the current roles we are recruiting to below.
Are you able to support staff during mealtimes assisting with the serving of patients who have a difficulty feeding themselves? Are you a good communicator who can encourage patients? Do you really want to make a difference to patient comfort and wellbeing?
As a Mealtime Companion you will be encouraging patients to eat, cutting up food and feeding patients. You will receive training as a Mealtime Companion and full support from the nursing team.
Volunteers are required during mealtimes Monday to Friday on a rota system subject to your availability. You will be based in various wards within Manor Hospital.
This is a very rewarding role very much appreciated by patients. Patient Visitors play a very important part in supporting patients during their stay. You will visit lots of different wards and patients and talk and listen to them. Often having someone else to talk to is really helpful to patients – it can relieve boredom and maybe help them share some of their worries or concerns.
- Are you able to converse with patients that may not have many or indeed any visitors?
- Are you a great communicator with good interpersonal skills who can build a friendly rapport with patients?
- Can you offer one to one support in a ‘befriender’ capacity?
- Do you want to enhance the quality of care provided to patients in need?
Volunteers will be placed on a rota to suit your availability during visiting hours.
Namasta Care Volunteer
- Do you want to help people living with dementia be involved in activities that are meaningful to them?
- Could you read or listen to their favourite music and converse in a relaxed and calm environment?
This is an immensely rewarding role providing a unique contribution to improving the patient experience.
Volunteers will be placed on a rota to suit your availability during Monday to Friday and based in Manor Hospital providing support for 2-4 hours per week.
Kissing it Better facilitator
- Do you possess proven leadership and facilitation skills?
- Can you help supervise small teams of students visiting wards? Don’t worry no volunteer will be left to supervise a group until they feel ready.
- Do you have the character to positively encourage patients, visitors and staff?
Students studying a wide range of subjects including music, drama, public service, health and social care, hairdressing and beauty therapy spend many hours on the wards every week. Their visits have a profound impact on everyone but can only happen if the sessions are supervised by an appropriate volunteer. Nearly all students are accompanied by a tutor from their college/school. You will be required to accompany them on the wards and help support them until they leave.
Volunteers will be placed to suit your availability during Monday to Friday and based in Manor Hospital providing support when requested.