The blood sciences department provides a high quality, cost-effective service to Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust and comprises of four laboratory services: biochemistry, haematology, blood transfusion and immunology.
The department provides a routine and emergency (analytical and consultative) service to assist clinicians with the diagnosis and management of their patients through the examination of blood, other bodily fluids and the provision of blood products.
In addition to the main blood sciences laboratory, the department also provides:
- Maintenance and training for the blood gas analysers located on the neonatal unit, ITU, HDU, AMU, A&E, West Wing Theatres and the Delivery Suite.
- Quality control and external quality assurance support for extra-laboratory blood glucose testing.
- Biomedical scientist support to the anti-coagulation clinics, endoscopy suite and dermatology for INR analysis.
- Maintenance and monitoring of all satellite blood banks, and training of all staff in blood product collection.
- Skin prick testing service: every Monday (9am – 5pm) – prior appointments are required.
The department also provides a Phlebotomy service that covers inpatient, outpatient and community requirements.
The department holds external accreditation by Clinical Pathology Accreditation (CPA) UK Ltd, and is also regulated by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) (specific to blood transfusion).
The department participates in a comprehensive quality management system, participating in all relevant National External Quality Assessment Schemes, and operates a schedule of internal audits, corrective actions and quality improvements. The quality management system is reviewed on a monthly basis to ensure the provision of a high-quality service is maintained.
The laboratory is recognised for training by the Institute of biomedical sciences for both generic and specialist portfolio training.
All work is performed with due care for the health and safety of staff and visitors and with proper regard for the environment. The laboratory complies with comprehensive safety procedures and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regulations.