Overall service aim
To provide children and their families with the best possible physiotherapy care and support. To be a responsive, safe and an effective community physiotherapy service.
What we do
- We provide specialist physiotherapy assessment, intervention, advice and guidance for children and their families where there is delay in attaining gross motor skills (e.g. late sitting and walking) due to a variety of reasons.
- We aim to minimise physical disabilities and maximise physical abilities and independence
- We work as part of the multi-agency team providing support and education on physiotherapy issues
- We provide services to children aged 0-18 years with neuro-developmental conditions such as cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, neurological syndromes, chromosome disorders, developmental delay, toe walking and gait anomalies
- We provide orthotics, if required, to children known to the service
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday 8.00am - 4.30pm
The service is based at Walsall Child Development Centre (CDC) but can be delivered in a variety of settings such as the home, clinics, childcare centres or nurseries and schools. Initial assessments usually take place at the CDC or at a local clinic/children’s centre if available
Are Self-Referrals Accepted?
All children who have previously been referred to the service can request to be seen again within 2 years of discharge but only for the same reason as the original referral.
Click here for the referral form.
For re-referral to the service the parents/carer should contact the department on telephone 01922 605810 stating the reason for their concern.
New referrals can be made directly to the department via the standard Children's Referral Form and are accepted from:
- The childs GP, Consultant, Paediatrician, or school doctor
- Team Around The Child for children under 5 requiring 2 or more services
- Paediatric Occupational Therapy service
- Health Visiting, School health, and Community children's nursing services from staff who have undertaken the physiotherapy referrals training
Referrals can be sent to
Paediatric Physiotherapy Department
Walsall Child Development Centre